About Countdown 2010
The Countdown 2010 initiative was closed in 2010. This website and all information it contains may not be up to date.
Countdown 2010 is a network of active partners working together towards the 2010 Biodiversity Target. Each partner commits to specific efforts to tackle the causes of biodiversity loss. The Countdown 2010 Secretariat – hosted by the IUCN Regional Office for Pan-Europe – facilitates and encourages action, promotes the importance of the 2010 Biodiversity Target and assesses progress towards 2010. An Assembly of all Partners meets annually to review the overall direction of Countdown 2010. Countdown 2010 is guided by a core Advisory Board.
Countdown 2010 was launched at the stakeholder conference “Sustaining Livelihoods and Biodiversity: Attaining the 2010 Target in the European Biodiversity Strategy” in Malahide, Ireland in 2004. This conference resulted in the Message of Malahide which today forms the foundation of the European Commission’s Biodiversity Communication.
Goals of the initiative
Countdown 2010 mobilizes action to ensure that all governments and members of civil society, at every level, have taken the necessary actions to halt the loss of biodiversity by 2010.
- Gain maximum public attention for the challenge of saving biodiversity by 2010;
- Encourage and support the full implementation of all the existing binding international commitments and necessary actions to save biodiversity, also through the Readiness Assessment;
- Demonstrate clearly what progress the world makes in meeting the 2010 Biodiversity Target.
- Sound science: all Countdown 2010 work is underpinned by sound science and/or relevant practical conservation experience and is carried out to the highest possible standard.
- Transparency: Countdown 2010 is committed to the principle of transparency in process and decision making. It ensures public access to information, while respecting individual privacy and institutional confidentiality, as appropriate.
- Subsidiarity: the Countdown 2010 Secretariat works at the most appropriate level (local, national, regional, multi-regional) and it undertakes only those Countdown 2010 activities that partners are unable to.
- Autonomy: Countdown 2010 is an independent alliance. It is governed by the will of its partners through the institutional mechanisms in place (Advisory Board and Partners’ Assembly).