Join the network!
Please note: From 20 October 2010 the Countdown 2010 Secretariat will officially close. Organizations interested in joining the new initiative should please get in contact with IUCN at the beginning of 2011 at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that no Declarations for the current initiative will be accepted any longer. See you in 2011!
The Countdown 2010 Secretariat is your key partner in helping you achieve your conservation goals by 2010 and beyond. The team is always ready to advise you on how to implement your objectives and communicate effectively. Countdown 2010 can assist in developing your activities and encourages you to be pro-active at both global and local levels.
Joining Countdown 2010 can help you build partnerships with other stakeholders. Also, through its website and network of partners, Countdown 2010 is your platform to communicate to a global audience. The UN International Year of Biodiversity in 2010 is a unique opportunity to unite all stakeholders’ efforts and to involve the public.
Being part of Countdown 2010 is a great opportunity to actively engage in shaping the post-2010 framework. Countdown 2010 regularly organizes events and consultations on post-2010. Join us in mobilizing a wider audience around the 2010 Target and in shaping the post-2010 framework!
In particular, Partners benefit from:
- The use of a persuasive communications platform, useful for sharing knowledge about the 2010 Biodiversity Target, but also for communicating your own efforts;
- Links to Countdown 2010 Partner initiatives in other countries, regions and cities;
- Involvement in projects undertaken by the Secretariat;
- Communication of your objectives and achievements to a global audience;
- Access and support to other Countdown 2010 products, including best practice examples.
How to become a Partner?
Partnership of Countdown 2010 is open to governments, local authorities, civil society, private sector organizations or any other organization which demonstrates a clear commitment to contribute toward the achievement of the 2010 Biodiversity Target. Becoming a Partner is free of charge.
To join Countdown 2010, Partners are requested to undersign the Countdown 2010 Declaration stating their own specific commitments and the endorsement of Countdown 2010 principles and objectives. The declaration asks three steps from your organisation:
- Support the 2010 Biodiversity Target;
- Encourage decision makers to take action;
- Commit yourself to reducing biodiversity loss.
As all organisations are different, Countdown 2010 has no one-size-fits-all recipe on how you can reduce biodiversity loss within the capacity of your organisation. However, we encourage you to define some specific commitments for your organization in addition to the ones included in the Declaration. These commitments are published on each partner’s page, and the best projects are featured on the website and in print. Click here for some ideas of Countdown 2010 activities in your organization.
- Download Countdown 2010 Declaration